Welcome to the second recipe in my 5 Minute Eats series, which features my favourite recipes that can be made in five minutes or less.
I’ve made this gorgeous Tomato & Bocconcini Salad many times before but was reminded of what a lovely combination it is when I ate something similar at a friend’s house recently.
Two things to remember: make sure the tomatoes are at room temperature (chilled tomatoes are tasteless) and that you dress the salad and let it sit for a while before eating. The flavours will mix and meld and the dressing will soak nicely into the cheese. Salt flakes and ground black pepper should be added just before serving so they don’t make the tomatoes weep. The salt will also make all the flavours pop.
This recipe is almost fool-proof so it’s perfect for those moments someone wanders into the kitchen and asks if they can give you hand with anything. Instead of politely demurring, show them the ingredients, a knife and a chopping board and let them get on with it while you put your feet up and enjoy a glass of wine.
I call that a win-win.
5 Minute Eats: Tomato & Bocconcini Salad
- 1-2 punnets baby tomatoes
- 1 small tub bocconcini
- A few sprigs basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes thinly and arrange on a plate.
- Tear bocconcini and place on top before garnishing with basil leaves.
- Make up dressing by whisking EVOO, red wine vinegar and honey and drizzle over plate.
- Finish with sea salt flakes + ground black pepper.