Mini Lemon Meringue Pies

April 16, 2012

After having to miss the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop in March, I’m happy to be back on board this month with this lemon-icious recipe.

I’ve actually used lemons picked from our own lemon tree, which I thought was a write-off after the plasterers decided to empty their buckets around it when we were renovating. Turns out our tree is a lot harder to kill than I thought – hurrah!

Like many happy cooks, I nearly always have lemons in the house. I like to squeeze half a lemon into a massive jug of water at the beginning of each day, place it on my desk and drink it as the day goes on. I’ve discovered it’s the only way to make sure I drink enough.

So I was 100% on board when the Sweet Adventures – that is, myself, 84th & 3rdThe Capers of the Kitchen CrusaderDelicieux, and Dining With a Stud - decided on lemons as April’s theme for our monthly, dessert blog hop. It wasn’t hard to decide what to make either – I love lemon meringue pie, I’m obsessed with mini desserts at the moment and I’ll take any excuse to use my blow torch.

I’d never made lemon curd before but it wasn’t hard. I used Stephanie Alexander’s A Cooks’ Companion as a guide and it was done in a flash. Doesn’t it look dreamy?

These Mini Lemon Meringue Pies are perfect for morning or afternoon teas, or as a special party dessert. They’re not very transportable, though, meaning picnics are out of the question unless you put them in a plastic container and wedge them in with towels so they don’t move around. That’s a bit too much hassle in my book.  No, better to enjoy them in the comfort of your own home.

Just don’t expect any leftovers.

This month’s bloghop is being hosted by the lovely Jennifer from Delicieux. To join in the fun, head over to her Lemon Meringue Cupcakes post for all the details of how to link up your own lemon dessert recipe. And be sure to check out all the over lemon-icious recipes below.

You might also like:

Join The Hungry Australian now - it's FREE!

Enter your email address below to have delicious, fuss-free recipes, inspiring food experiences, giveaways and useful articles delivered straight to your inbox.

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one } April 16, 2012 at 9:23 am

Cute and most delicious looking tarts. Very lovely yellow curd. Thanks for the hop

Reply April 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

PS sorry Christina I tried to enter here. Made a mess again sorry!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) April 16, 2012 at 9:36 am

I love mini desserts and your meringue pies look divine!

Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy April 16, 2012 at 9:39 am

They look fabulous Christina! Making curd is something I want to do asap, now our lemon tree has started producing. I love, love, love lemon curd. Your tree looks like it has a great crop, maybe I should be more brutal to ours ;)

Erin @ she cooks, she gardens April 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Yum, they look divine, I love a good lemon curd.

Also, your props are gorgeous Christina. I love the little yellow gingham towel/fabric you have under the plate in your first pic. So cute!

Michelle April 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

beautiful looking pies :) I made an amazing batch of Lemon Curd last year and stored in a few small preserving jars (amazingly it didn’t disappear straight away!)
I have always wondered though, what is the difference between Lemon Curd and Lemon Butter?

Jennifer (Delicieux) April 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Lovely Lemon Meringue Pies Christina :D Great minds think alike ;) Isn’t lemon curd absolutely divine. I had real trouble not eating the lemon curd from the saucepan the minute it was made.

Helene @ Homebound April 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm

i’m in love with your little pies… and i think it’s so cool that those lemons came from your own tree. have a great week Christina. xx

Nic April 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm

This blog hop is causing serious harm to my waistline! These look delicious, another recipe to add to my must try list!

Adrian (Food Rehab & What The Heck Is Filipino Food) April 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Love the theme of this month;s blog hop! Lemon curd is the bomb! I use it on everything…even on toast! :)
This recipe rocks! IT made my Monday!

JJ @ 84thand3rd April 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm

heehee looks like we were all thinking alike – you, Jen and I all making Lemon Curd! Your blowtorch comment made me giggle!

Lizzy (Good Things) April 17, 2012 at 5:44 am

Pattyabr April 17, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yum love lemon desserts!

Pattyabr April 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

what’s your next blog hop?

K-bobo @ Gormandize with A-dizzle & K-bobo April 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

They look very gorgeous! I am also a bit fan of mini desserts – you don’t have to make a mess of them by cutting them up to serve!

Moya April 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Wonderful to have your own lemon tree Christina, I do struggle with mine! Again anything mini and I am in! Love the little mini pie tins and of course the Lemon Meringue Pies… yum! :)

Mel B (Honey You Baked) April 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I made lemon curd for the first time for this blog hop too and was surprised and how easy (and delicious) it turned out to be – why didn’t i try it before?? I’m loving the single serve pies – so cute! I’m going to try them really soon now that I’ve mastered the art of lemon curd…

Torie@chilliandmint April 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm

These cute puds look adorable and since I don’t have a sweet tooth they are the perfect size for me to have a little sweetness without being too sugar heavy. Your photos btw are stunning.

Erica April 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

One word: Yum! I think the mini version is even better than the big one. For a picnic-friendly option, you could take the meringue separately in a piping bag along with a blow torch to finish them :)

Christina @ The Hungry Australian May 6, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Gah! It’s been such a busy month I’ve only just remembered that I’d never replied to the lovely comments everyone left on this post. My apologies. Better late than never so here goes:

@Tania (My Kitchen Stories) Cheers!

@Laura (Tutti Dolci) Thanks so much

@Kyrstie (Fresh Legacy) Ha! I’m not sure if brutality works for all lemon trees but it seems to have worked ok for ours ;)

@Erin (She Cooks She Gardens) Thanks my dear. That cloth was actually given to one of my kids as a baby wrap. I use anything I can get my hands on as a food prop lol

@Michelle. I don’t think there is a difference – I always thought they were one and the same… feel free to correct me!

@Jennifer (Le Delicieux) Thanks lovely! And yes, I want to make another batch right now ;)

@Helene (Homebound) Aw thanks Helene x

@ Nic (Dining with a Stud) Thanks lovely!

@Adrian Food Rehab Cheers!!

@JJ (84th & 3rd) Great minds think alike JJ :)

@Lizzy (Good Things) Thanks lovely!

@Patty – next hop will be announced this week and open in a couple of weeks. hope you can join us!

@kbobo I agree! ;)

@Moya (Food and Tools) mini desserts rock, right? ;)

@MelB (Honey You Baked) it is surprisingly easy to make lemon curd isn’t it?

@Torie (Chilli and Mint) Thanks so much for your kind words. I wasn’t so happy with the way these turned out – exposure issues (should have used a tripod) -but I appreciate your lovely feedback

@Erica. I’m kinda in love with mini desserts at the moment so I agree! Wow – you want to take a blowtorch with you on a picnic! That’s some serious foodie talking ;)

Ali May 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Just stumbled across your blog….lemon meringue pies are my favourite…and these look delicious!

Johanna May 19, 2012 at 5:25 am

I’ve started My Sweet Party, where I every month host a party with a theme (MAY theme is CHOCOLATE). The party is ongoing the entire duration of the month and then I will choose my top three favourites and feture those blogs. I would LOVE you to join My Sweet Party!